Thursday, August 10, 2006

Call for GISMO Coordinators/Volunteers

From Jack Eichenbaum:

Dear GISMO colleagues,

At the last GISMO Steering Committee Meeting (in July before the regular meeting) I spoke about withdrawing from much of my leadership role at GISMO. I've been doing this for 16 years.

I have been retired (from NYC DOF) for more than a year now and I no longer have access to property data files or GIS software. My urban interests have shifted almost entirely to teaching and the understanding of the changing city through the medium of walking tours. I still retain an engaging interest in data and its interface with reality. I will continue to be advisor to OASIS. And I can consult on related NYC urban issues.

GISMO needs additional committed leadership. Leaders should be younger and more GIS-technically aware than I am.

I told the Steering Committee that I would maintain my present leadership level through the end of the year.

Meanwhile, here are some immediate needs:

1. One or more persons who lead or co-lead meetings (I will continue to do this sometimes!)
2. A person to be listed on the GISMO website who can respond to questions about GISMO (might be George
Davis) This should be a GISMO veteran)
3. A liaison with the Fund for the City of NY- our hosts. (possibly filled)
4. An overall leader ready to deal with organizational issues and the stuff between the cracks. As I have.

Possibly this could be done by two people but I'd shudder to hear that it became a committee.

If you have an interest in these issues or in helping with GISMO in general, please attend the next GISMO Steering Committee meeting, Thursday, September 7 at 3:30pm- location TBA. It will be important to know your colleagues. If you think you will be coming please email me (jaconet@aol.com) with any ideas and so I can advise you of any schedule change.

Let me list some colleagues who continue to provide leadership and service to GISMO:

Ken Reid runs meetings and services new members.
Noreen Whysel manages our listserv and yahoo site.
Amy Jeu updates our website (@Hunter).
Mark Ryvkin manages our database.
Karen Rutberg organizes GISMO programs.
George Davis, Joel Grossman, Zvia Naphtali, Wendy Dorf and Dorothy Nash are active members of the GISMO Steering Committee.

We recently feted Greg Studwell (ran meetings) who has moved to Massachusetts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home